Saturday, May 22, 2021

Roles of Institutions for Sustainable Development

    There is a lot of institutions and individuals that represent their country and nation in ensuring the success of the 2030 agenda by establishing the Sustainable Development Goals. 

    I do believe that the current institution I'm in which is IIUM puts great importance on acquiring Sustainable Development Goals. For my first semester here, I never thought that I need to take Sustainable Development as one of my courses. I learn a lot about Sustainable Development from many perspectives and its values. I'd be clueless about the 2030 agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by the United Nations. I never knew that it was a worldwide objective to achieve the global goals for a better sustainable world. Making students aware of it by adding a course focusing entirely on Sustainable Development line up with the SDG 4 (Quality Education). I'm very blessed to be enlightened by this important knowledge as some of my friends are still clueless about it because their institution does not give importance to Sustainable Development.

    My institution also has open talks, forums, and discussions about Sustainable and Development. On March 4th, 2021, I join my university open sharing session about SDG 4: differences between Malaysian education and Japanese education in university for Sustainable Development. The sharing session was in collaboration with the Fukushima University from Japan through Youtube Live because of Covid-19. The lecturers and students from Fukushima University and my university shared their views on the particular topic. Everyone was open-minded about the sharing session and I was so surprised that International Islamic University Malaysia has a good relationship with the Fukushima University. I learn that the difference between my university and the Fukushima university in the education system for university-level is the Japanese university give importance to learning from experience, the students need to learn career-building subjects like Internship (work experience learning) and Internship Job Hunting (Preparation) for their first and third year but in my university, we will go through the Internship only in our last year. It can be said that my institution takes responsibility for improving our education by learning and sharing ideas with the Fukushima University. This is in sequence with SDG 16 (Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions) and SDG 17 (Partnerships for the Goals). I hope that there will be more collaborations in the future especially when the pandemic ends as it can open more opportunities for us to do greater activities in achieving the global goals.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment